I welcome your feedback, questions, concerns, and support! Follow along, join the RSS feeds, or just leave me a comment!
Thanks for reading

Monday, March 8, 2010

Blackberry Wildflower Honey Ice Cream

My kids LOVE ice cream....and man is it packed with sugar.  I got  this recipe from  Nourished Kitchen.  We don't have access to raw milk, which admittedly makes me a bit nervous (I know, I know I should not be scared of it! I'm taking baby steps), but I did buy fresh creamline whole milk and used the separated cream in addition to organic heavy cream to make this! It gave me a chance to finally use the ice cream maker we got as a wedding gift six years ago! I think it was best right out of the maker as a soft serve, but we had extra so I froze it in an airtight container.  The kids thought it was super yummy!  It's far less sweet than traditional ice cream, but the honey does add some nice flavor and a hint of sweetness.

Here are my modified instructions:

Ingredients (yields approx one quart)
  • 3 Cups Organic cream
  • 1 Cup Organic whole milk (or use more cream to make a creamier ice cream)
  • ½ Cup Organic Raw Wildflower Honey
  • 4 Egg Yolks from cage-free hens
  • 1 Cup Fresh Blackberries (I couldn't find any organic)
Instructions:
  1. Mix cream and milk together.
  2. Rapidly whisk in the honey and continue to whisk until the honey is fully incorporated.
  3. Whisk in egg yolks and continue mixing until the entire mixture is uniform.
  4. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker.
  5. Add berries.
  6. Mix according to your ice cream maker’s instructions (this took 30 mins in my ice cream maker, it was still not really solid so I stuck in the freezer for an hour or so before dinner)
  7. Place in freezer to harden. (liked it better as soft serve but still yummy the next day as a fully frozen treat)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks great! nice blog!!!