This recipe came from the newest edition of Clean Eating Magazine. I've modified it a bit to suit our tastes. These are a great healthy, clean, chocolate rice crispy treat! The original recipe called for hazelnuts, I don't like them, so I subbed chopped raw macadamia nuts instead. Next time I might try raw almonds and almond butter in the recipe!
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts, coarsley chopped
1 1/2 cup unsweetened brown rice cereal
3/4 cups rolled oats
2 1/2 oz. dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater) chopped into chunks
1/2 cup unsalted hazelnut butter or your favorite unsalted natural nut butter. I used natural peanut butter because I wanted a chocolate peanutbutter treat - but I think almond butter would be an awesome healthy alternative!
2 T raw honey
1. In a mixing bowl combine chopped nuts, rice cereal, and rolled oats. Mix thoroughly.
2. In a double boiler melt chocolate.
3. Add pureed raisins, nut butter, and honey to chocolate and mix until fully combined.
4. Using a wooden spoon, fold the chocolate mixture into the cereal mixture. Make sure this is thoroughly combined.
5. Press into a glass baking pan. Mine is 8x8. Press the mixture down firmly with clean hands to compact mixture.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until the mixture is set.
7. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares. Squares can be stored in refrigerator 3-5 days.
Calories 110, Fat 6 g, Carbs 13g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 7 g, Protein 2 g, Cholesterol 0mg