A delicious recipe from Jenny at The Nourished Kitchen. I've been wanting to make this since I first ordered my sprouted flours, but I am just getting around to it today. We don't have access to some of the raw dairy items that Jenny talks about on her site, so I have to improvise a bit. This turned out delicious and is a great clean substitute for your normal shortbread recipe. It is really important that you use Grade B maple syrup. It's a tad bit more expensive but is nutrient rich. Also, if you don't have sprouted spelt, you can use normal spelt flour (or any whole grain flour). This is absolutely delicious, and would be perfect with a cup of tea! The maple flavor is quite subtle and the typical shortbread consistency is maintained. Enjoy!
2 Cups Organic, Sprouted Whole Grain Flour
1 Cup Organic Butter
¼ Cup Organic Grade-B Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
- Whip the maple syrup and butter together until the syrup is thoroughly incoroprated into the butter.
- Add the flour
and saltand mix thoroughly.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a disk and place it on a silicone backing mat lined cookie sheet or preheated baking stone.
- Prick the dough slightly with a fork and gently score the disk into 6-8 individual portions or as desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the shortbread is slightly golden.